For the month of May, we will be sharing our favorite meatless recipes for your culinary pleasure. The idea behind “Meatless May” is to encourage you to include more vegetables into your diet and to help your digestive system by giving it a break from having to breakdown and assimilate so many animal products. Every week, we will release one meatless recipe to help inspire you in the kitchen.
Sometimes the ingredients you think won’t work together turn out to create absolute magic. This is that magic recipe of strange combinations. It’s sweet and spicy at the same time. Plus, I just cannot say it enough, the black bean is one of my favorites because it provides a substantial amount of protein.
Serves 4 to 6:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced, plus extra leaves for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or Sea Veg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/4 red onion, finely minced
- 1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled, and finely diced
Method Of Preparation:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, minced cilantro, sea salt or Sea Veg, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and lime juice.
- Add the black beans, mango, red onion; toss the salad together until the mixture is throughly combined.
- Lastly, just before serving, gently fold in the diced avocado. Serve immediately or you can let it chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Garnish with a few cilantro leaves.