Catherine McCord, the founder of Weelicious.com and organic food delivery service One Potato, is devoted to making kid-friendly, healthy recipes. Her latest book, Smoothie Project, 28 Day Plan to Feel Healthy and Happy No Matter Your Age, just made #1 on Amazon.
With celebrity fans that include Jennifer Garner, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Dan Barber of Blue Hill, and Keri Glassman, RD, her food-as-medicine approach comes highly recommend– and is great if you’ve got little ones that are also picky eaters.
“Instead of stocking up on bottles of vitamins and kids’ multi-gummies, I start reinforcing our immune systems with tons of resistance-building foods,” she writes about the beginning of cold and flu season. “This smoothie is loaded with vitamins, antioxidants, and superfoods that kick your immune system into overdrive, improve your gut health, and even help you feel better if you’ve already succumbed to a cold or the flu.”
Below, she shares her Immunity Booster recipe to help us bolster the health of our immune systems. During these troubling times, prioritizing the vitality of our immune systems is a nècessitè!
- 1/2 fresh or frozen banana, peeled
- 1/4 inch (6mm) piece of fresh turmeric, peeled and chopped, or 1/3 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons plain or vanilla yogurt (preferably Greek) or a non-dairy alternative
- 1/2 cup (65g) fresh or frozen mixed berries
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- 1 dried date, pitted, or 2 tsp honey for added sweetness
- 2 teaspoons hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen
- 1 tablespoon seed butter
- 1 crack of black pepper
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk or non-dairy alternative
Method of Preparation:
- Rinse, peel, and measure all ingredients, and chop turmeric.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- For an optional “super boost,” consider adding chia seeds, flax seeds, mace powder, vanilla or plain protein powder, MCT oil, reishi, ashwagandha, probiotic powder, goji powder, açaí powder, camu camu powder, pink Himalayan salt, or goji berries. E