Dear nécessité community,
How are you? Keep hanging in there, the light is bright. We must walk by faith and believe, mentally, physically, and emotionally. I often get asked what do I do to detox my body and what do I recommend doing. First, our health is individualized so what may work for me may not work for you and vice versa. It is important to do something that is not so drastic and one that is safe specifically for you.
Before starting a fast or detox, I advise you to speak with your trusted Healthcare Practioner before embarking on a detox journey. I aim to do some type of physical detox each season depending on how I feel physically and spiritually. My first detox was in the ’90s with the guidance of a lovely man who is one of my favorite alternative health providers.
He is a Chinese herbalist and guided me safely and well. He taught me how to detox through food. I have been detoxing with and through food ever since. (Along with other detoxes over time)
When my optimal health journey started with him I had a serious skin condition under both armpits. It was horrible. uncomfortable, smelly, and disgusting. (Thank GOD I was not dating anyone at the time because it was so not cute).
I scratched profusely at night during my sleep and woke up with dead skin and dried blood under my fingernails, beyond gross. I cried every morning feeling so helpless and irritated. It burned, I did not know if it was stress, an allergic reaction, or what. My underarm skin was so raw and more sensitive that I had no option other than letting my armpit hair grow out to the point I was able to braid it. (No joke, think Madonna’s hairy pits x2).
I was so desperate that I was willing to try anything not only for relief but for healing once and for all. I wanted to eliminate the inflammation and get my body less acidic and more alkalized.
So what I learned and did was:
- Addressed the root of the issue (what’s causing it, not focus on the symptoms).
- Changed my diet drastically instead of feeding the issue which is what I was previously doing (I became vegetarian and then vegan).
- Removed processed foods. (Things in packages/boxes)
- Incorporated a lot of green vegetables
- Bye-bye dairy
- Bye-bye animal products
- Bye-bye gluten
- Bye-bye soda/juice drinks
- Hello sprouted bagels
- Hello green juices
- Hello Swiss Chard, Broccoli, Celery, and Parsley.
- Increased my water intake (and not from plastic).
- Stop shaving (with a razor blade) because I was opening up my system and then applying a heavy toxic metal (deodorant that contained aluminum). I have not used a razor nor worn deodorant since 1996 I only wax and my pits are truly clean and pretty, I love and appreciate them. Oh, and I wax them myself.
- Dry brush (great for circulation, getting the blood moving).
- Healthy Oil supplements-I added cold-pressed oil to my diet which was a first
- Drink lemon water to start my day (Wake up the organs/digestive system).
- Aligned my thoughts and emotions that I was healing. Wrote in my grateful/blessing journal nightly.
Over time, (as I learned more and more about my body and health) I then started doing other detoxes such as:
It worked for me regardless of someone else’s experience. It is my required deep flush out. The longest I have done it for is 10 days. *Note- this can be pretty intense, do not do this alone and without proper support (speak to your health care provider)
I have had much success doing Liver cleanses and feel incredible after accomplishing the goal. (I have done a few, all with much success one of them was Anthony Williams Liver Cleanse)
Our bodies are precious, very smart, super powerful and I know they can heal themselves if given the right mindset, emotional support, opportunity, and environment to do so.
Please keep in mind, this is what works for me. Find what works for you and be gentle. Honor yourself. Honor your body. Go slow. Do it for health. Health comes first, after that everything else changes. Our bodies do speak to us and do so in their way, so be attentive and listen.
Have you ever tried a food detox? Please leave me a message below (comment section) and tell me your experience.
Here’s to your and my health. It’s a nécessité. You are a nécessité.
Much love and gratitude,
Certified Holistic Health Coach
Certified in Gut Health
Auricular Therapy (Ear Seeds)
Author of The Thriving Child, Shut Up and Cook!