I’ve had “problem skin” almost all my life. There was the cystic acne that dominated my face through high school and college, then the chronic dermatitis that cropped up in my twenties, and, more recently, the hormonal acne that started to sprout up around my jawline after I made the decision to remove my IUD. And even though I’ve spent more than half my life battling skin issues, it was only a few years ago that I realized my diet might have something to do with it.
I know, I know. These days, the link between what we eat and how we look is common knowledge — but when I was visiting dermatologists ad nauseum in high school, it was a different time. Every last one of my doctors assured me that diet had “nothing to do” with what was happening on my face. So I continued to swallow down handfuls of Skittles and gulp down daily Diet Cokes. No wonder there was always a fresh pimple popping up.
Anyway, my days of Skittles and soda are long gone. I’ve replaced them with a slew of skin-healthy foods that help me glow from the inside out, like this Super Skin Smoothie. I make it almost every morning — and have for three months straight — and my skin has never looked better.
What You’ll Need & Why:
- 1 cup coconut milk: It’s a creamy alternative to regular milk, since dairy has been shown to trigger inflammation
- 1 tablespoon of aloe water: It helps moisturize skin cells from the inside out
- 1 handful fresh cilantro: Cilantro helps deep-clean the liver, which in turn helps your body eliminate toxins (so they don’t end up on your face)
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds: Full of skin-plumping, anti-aging, glow-giving Omega-3 fatty acids
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds: More Omega-3s
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds: Anti-inflammatory to take down acne from the inside
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil: Because skin thrives on healthy fats
- 1 teaspoon tocos powder: Full of vitamin E to keep skin hydrated
- 1 handful of frozen wild blueberries: High in antioxidants to help the body fight oxidative stress (and look younger, too)
- 5 – 10 frozen cherries: These help balances the skin’s pH levels
- 1/2 avocado: A great source of healthy fats and vitamin E
What To Do:
- Throw all ingredients together in a blender and pulse until smooth
- Pour into a reusable glass bottle
- Take your smoothie to glow on the go!
Photo Credit: Pinterest