Happy Summer. How are you today? Ask yourself this question first, and then answer it honestly to yourself. I am feeling the extra hot summer heat and appreciate it. Are you feeling it? Embrace it, honey, it is only a moment, and then the cold temperature will kick in along with the complaints about it being so cold.
Embrace each season, each temperature. The goal is to stay safe and healthy and be sure your children, loved ones, and pets are well cared for. As the temperatures rise and the sun shines brighter, it’s a nécessité to prioritize your health and well-being during hot weather. With simple tips and tools, they can stay cool, comfortable, and healthy throughout the summer.
Here are some helpful tips to help navigate through the heat and enjoy this summer season to its fullest:
Stay Well Hydrated:
Drink plenty of H20, GOD’s water, and Coconut water (less colored, sugared water, less sparkling) throughout the day to stay hydrated. Aim for at least eight glasses of water daily and increase your intake if you are engaging in physical activities or spending time outdoors perspiring. Hydration is key to maintaining optimal health and regulating body temperature, but do not over-hydrate. Remember, when you sweat, you release water and bodily fluids, so it is important to replenish them healthily.
Choose lightweight, loose-fitting, and light-colored clothing from breathable fabrics such as cotton, hemp, or linen. These fabrics allow for more air circulation, keeping you cooler and more comfortable in hot weather.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, especially during peak hours when the sun’s rays are the strongest (typically between 10 am and 4 pm).
- Seek shade, use umbrellas, hats, and if you use sunscreen, apply sunscreen generously to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Read the ingredients of the sunscreen.
These ingredients will absorb through your skin more with the help of the sun since your pores are opening from the heat.
- Create a comfortable indoor environment that works for you.
- Use a fan.
- Try applying cold compresses to your wrists, the back of your neck, on top of your head, and take a cool bath to help cool down quickly.
The goal is to keep the body cool so it does not overheat and to keep you comfortable and safe.
Be Wise Outdoor:
- If you are participating in any outdoor activities, schedule them during cooler times of the day (not between 10 am-4 pm).
- Take breaks, find shaded areas, and take plenty of cold water.
- Leave home with a thermos with cold water and ice so the ice can help keep the water cool.
- Keep water bottles out of direct contact with the sun, even in the car.
- Pack a washcloth soaked in cold water and wrap ice in it so that you can pat yourself down with something cool. If you experience feeling lightheaded or dizzy, listen to your body, reach your trusted healthcare provider, and communicate your experience.
Eat Cooling Foods:
- Choose light meals and snacks. Enjoy a variety of fruits and vegetables, which contain high water content and essential nutrients. We are sharing some tasty fun ideas from us at nécessité and Shut Up and Cook! Cookbook to help you stay on track. Incorporate juicing
- Make refreshing salads like our chickpea salad or our pressed salad.
- Make smoothies.
- Non-alcoholic treats.
- Fruit Salads
- Put cucumbers and or lemons in your water. This adds a bit of extra nutrients.
Be of service, Check on Others:
Stay connected with friends, family, and neighbors, especially those who may be more vulnerable to the effects of hot weather (the elderly, physically challenged/limited, or individuals with chronic illnesses). Ask whether they need anything; water, food, ice, fan, be of service, offer help. It goes a long way. Always caring for your health, even during hot weather, is a nécessité. Thank GOD!
You are a nécessité
Much Love and Gratitude,
Founder of nécessite
Certified Holistic Health Coach
Certified in Gut Health
Certified in Auricular Therapy (Ear Seeds)
Author of The Thriving Child and Shut Up and Cook!